Saturday, December 13, 2008

Do unto others

I would like to think I am a charitable person. I have enough social skills to know who needs a little social help at a cocktail party (not that I go to them anymore) and who needs introductions etc. I certainly try to be friendly and helpful to people. So, in a sense it is sort of weird to be the one on the receiving end of charity, and knowing that I need it. One of the ladies from church and school has taken me under her wing. We were late to a huge social gathering for Our Lady of Guadalupe and she immediately came up to me and had the Conqueror go put my stuff near her family's things so we could sit together. Then she proceeded to help me get my kids dinner and dessert and chatted with me during dinner. From a social perspective, she made things so much easier for me, and I am so thankful. I am sure I could have pulled it out in the end, but it was less stressful not to have to worry about it. Then she offered to watch my kids during confession and help me at mass with them too. She keeps saying she's going to get me set up for meals after the baby comes and begs me to bring the kids over to play so I can get away.

I am almost overwhelmed by her kindness, but very thankful too. So often I have found people in the South to be initially friendly, but not willing to take the next step. She is setting such a good example of Christian charity for me!! It really is the little things that are so important!

No comments: