Sunday, March 29, 2009

What I get for shopping on a Sunday..........

After mass we headed to Lowes to make a return. My days are numbered and I am trying to cross things off my list. I really don't want to drive around with a garbage disposal in my car for the next 4 weeks....

So anyway, we're in Lowes cruising the garden section because we feel the need to fill our hanging baskets. I am pushing one in the cart, one in the oven, and two are jumping at my feet. This little Hispanic lady looks at me with a big smile and says "Pleez...no more!" And then said something about six kids, whether she had them or her daughter had them I couldn't figure out. She then said something about "itz so bizzy!" Wow, thanks for that affirmation. And I wasn't even grumpy or ready to lose it at someone ( that would have been yesterday shopping for Easter outfits at Macy's) !

Anyway, I was sort of taken aback. I smiled and said I was the oldest of seven and sort whizzed away. None of the kids asked me about it later but I was pretty shocked. It was one of the ruder comments I have received. Grrrr.....I know I should just offer it up, but I am still looking for the perfect comeback in these situations!

4 comments:

Kathleen said...

Oh my! Next time you should say, I four more at home!

:o) mg said...

I get comments like that a lot too. I don't know why people think a pregnant woman or mother with many in tow as "open season" victims.
I am probably guilty of doing something just as unthinking at some point, so I usually smile and move on.
Mostly, these folks would never say something if they thought it would hurt or offend... now, that being said, since moving here, I have had two elderly women say entirely hurtful things that they would probably say again. But, rather than being disrespectful to a crotchety old "you know what"... well, I guess it is the same: I just smiled and moved on.

South Paw said...

smiling seems like the best response. but if someone says "is this your last one or how many are you going to have?" you could always say--"How many do you think I should have?" It is so ironic how people are so protective of their privacy regarding reproductive 'rights' but have no respect for the gift of fertility and enjoy vulgarizing (is that a word?) that gift through thoughtless comments...I know most aren't at fault.

Enthusiasm said...

Your [true] happiness is your comeback.