Sunday, September 19, 2010

A wow moment.

I am not exactly a positive person. My husband has referred to me as a "cheerful pessimist" and we've all heard the one about the glass is half full.....so I am very thankful for any "wow" moments I experience.

Things haven't been exactly going swimmingly around here since P. took off for 5 weeks in Texas. Lots of wailing and gnashing of teeth, and that's just on my end. (Seriously, every time he leaves I have to bust out my mouth guard.) When the going gets tough around here with crying, fighting and sullen attitudes we just leave. Getting out of the house seems to do wonders for them. We did a balloon festival Friday night, stayed at home all day Saturday except for a rather flawed outing to Sam's club before dinner. (I don't know what I was thinking either.) Today we went all around town taking pictures for a project for my son's local history project. We attended an art festival, saw the science center and the river and even went to the museum where the local symphony had an instrument petting zoo. The kids loved it....I think all 3 want to have violin lessons now.

Anyway, the "wow" moment occurred at the Arts festival. When we were going to get our food there was some new age dance group on the stage with modes of dress and movement that we have deemed "inappropriate." It was dancing with the stars, belly dancing, beyonce and muffin tops all rolled into one. Needless to say the kids were all a little scandalized and I told them to look away. The saddest part would have to be that they have pretty much ruined Abba's "Dancing Queen" for me. (The kids are all convinced that Dancing queen is from Lady GaGa now. AY!)

After a while a middle aged woman in a breathy voice introduced her group and described act as a mode of expression "celebrating the beauty of women" through empowerment or whatever...I wasn't paying too much attention.

A few minutes later while we were eating away from the stage the Conqueror turns to me, irate, and says, "She was talking about the beauty of women. But what about the fact we're made in the image and likeness of God? She forgot about that part didn't she mom?" I was floored. Here's a kid who connected the dots and God bless his innocence. I just answered that a lot of people don't realize they are made in the image and likeness of God and it is up to us to teach them how much God loves them. Anyway, I felt like I was getting through somehow.

I was just telling P. that sometimes, on so many different levels, I feel like I am in the middle of the story "The Emperor has no Clothes." I can only hope my kids will be strong enough to call it like it is as they grow older and be that little kid on the side of the parade route.

3 comments:

Enthusiasm said...

First of all you can't ruin ABBA. Second, you just need to solve that problem by convincing them that Dancing Queen is ABBA's. PLAY ABBA FOR YOU CHILDREN! Don't let ABBA be stolen along with rainbows and such! Don't let Lady GaGa shut you inside your homes!

...p.s. I love that child.

:o) mg said...

There is something special in his eyes. I've noticed it since I first saw y'all in Mass. God has something incredible in store for him.

Enthusiasm said...

I'd also like to add that WE ARE in the middle of The Emperor's new clothes.